- It is important for the Registered Dietitian and other health care providers to know your medical history before you begin a weight-loss program. A medical examination and possibly laboratory tests can be helpful to determine if there is any underlying medical conditions that could be affecting your weight.
- Your health assessment includes the medications you take along with your sleep patterns. Some medications may alter your ability to lose weight. Consistent and adequate sleep contribute to your ability to lose weight.
- Set and track realistic goals. Start with goals that are reasonable and build from there. Stay on track by recording your food and activity. Try apps on your smartphone or computer and use a fitness tracker. Ask a friend, co-worker or family member to follow along with you to help you to reach your goals.
- Develop healthy ways to deal with stress. This may help to prevent emotional eating and keep you motivated to continue to reach your goals. To keep your life in balance, try yoga, tai chi, meditation, walking, hobbies or support groups.
- Before you eat, use a hunger scale (1-10) to determine if you are hungry or eating for other reasons.
- Plan your meals and snacks ahead of time so that you will have healthy food choices available when you are busy.
- Choose fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy products. Local farmers markets are a great place to find fresh produce in season. Limit processed foods, fast food and dining out.
- Design and schedule a fitness program that fits your lifestyle. Meet with a personal trainer to develop a plan that works for you.
- Move as much as possible. Take the stairs, park farther away, play with your kids in the yard or walk with a co-worker. Vary your activities to keep them fun and enjoyable.
Best for Last
- Make sustainable lifestyle change to achieve your goals and be as healthy as possible.
If you are ready to make lifestyle changes to promote a healthy weight, the Upland Hills Healthy Living Program may be for you! It is a 3 month intensive weight management program which provides weekly appointments with a registered dietitian or personal trainer (6 dietitian visits and 6 personal trainer visits.) and a free membership to Upland Hills Health Wellness Center while in the program. We will work with you to provide individualized consultation to promote healthy nutrition and exercise. The goal of this program is to help you to adopt positive lifestyle behaviors that you will be able to maintain. To participate in the program, a patient can call our Wellness Center to make an appointment (608) 930-7147. You will need a medical release from your physician to participate in the program. The first 10 patients to sign up will receive a free Fitbit! The details of the program are below:
Comprehensive 3 Month Program:
Require medical clearance from PCP
RD: 60 minute appointment every other week (6 visits.)
Personal trainer: 60 minute appointment every other week (6 visits.) Includes 3 month membership to Wellness Center.
Cost: $600 ($50 per visit) or $540 if paying entire cost upfront ($45 each visit.) Payment is due at the time of service.
Additional 3 Month Program (after completion of comprehensive 3 month program)
RD: 60 minute appointment monthly for 3 months.
Personal trainer: 60 minute appointment monthly for 3 months. Includes 3 month membership to Wellness Center.
Cost: $300 ($50 per visit) or $270 if paying entire cost upfront ($45 each visit.) Payment is due at the time of service.
A La Carte Services:
UHH Wellness Center Membership: $200 per year
60 minute Nutrition Guidance appointment with Registered Dietitian: $60
1 hour personal trainer session: $40