8 ounces whole-wheat elbow noodles
1 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli
1 3/4 cups low-fat milk
3 tablespoons flour
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper
3/4 cup shredded extra-sharp Cheddar cheese
1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
• Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook pasta for 4 minutes.
• Add frozen broccoli and continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the pasta and broccoli are tender, 4 to 5 minutes more.
• Meanwhile, heat 1 1/2 cups milk in another large pot over medium-high heat until simmering.
• Whisk the remaining 1/4 cup milk, flour, garlic powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl until combined. Add the flour mixture to the simmering milk, return to a simmer and cook, whisking constantly, until the mixture is thickened, 2 to 3 minutes.
• Remove from the heat and whisk in cheddar, parmesan, and mustard until the cheese is melted.
• Drain the pasta and broccoli and add to the cheese sauce.
• Return to the heat and cook, stirring, over medium-low heat, until heated through, about 1 minute.
Yield: 4 servings
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 374, Protein: 22 g, Fat: 11 g, Carbohydrate: 53 g, Fiber: 7 g, Sugar: 7 g, Sodium: 592 mg