4 medium potatoes, cubed
4 medium carrots, cut into ¼ inch slices
1 medium red onion, halved and sliced
1 celery rib, thinly sliced
¾ tsp dried thyme
pepper to taste
½ tsp caraway seed
2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cubed
1 Tbsp olive oil
2-4 large tart apples, peeled an cubed
1 ¼ cups apple cider
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1 bay leaf
- In a slow cooker, layer potatoes, carrots, onion and celery. Combine thyme, pepper and caraway; sprinkle half over vegetables.
- In a skillet, sauté chicken cubes in oil, until browned.
- Transfer to a slow cooker. Top with apple.
- Combine the apple cider and vinegar. Pour over chicken and apple. Sprinkle with remaining salt mixture. Top with bay leaf.
- Cover and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or until vegetables are tender and chicken is cooked. Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 407, protein 33 g, fat 13 g, sodium 670 mg, fiber 5 g