1 lb boneless beef chuck roast
2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
2 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 lb new potatoes, quartered
1 lb butternut squash, peeled, seeded, and cut into 1-inch pieces (2 ½ cups)
2 small onions, cut into wedges
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 14-ounce can low-sodium beef broth
1 cup vegetable juice
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 Tbsp lemon juice
½ tsp sugar
½ tsp paprika
¼ tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp ground allspice
1 9-ounce package green beans
- Trim fat from meat. Cut meat into 1-inch pieces.
- Place flour into a large resealable plastic bag. Add meat pieces, shaking to coat.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Brown meat in hot oil. Drain off fat.
- In slow cooker, combine meat, potatoes, squash, onions and garlic.
- In a large bowl, combine broth, vegetable juice, Worcestershire sauce, lemon juice, sugar paprika, pepper and allspice. Pour over meat mixture.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 10 to 12 hrs or on high-heat setting for 5 to 6 hours. If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting.
- Stir in green beans. Cover and cook for 15 minutes more.
Makes 6 servings.
Nutrition facts per serving: Calories 304, protein 19 g, fat 13 g, sodium 456 mg,
fiber 4 g
Source: Better Homes and Gardens